|Department:||Maintenance & Construction|
|Minimum Age Requirements:||Must be at least 18 years of age to apply|
Under general supervision, the Carpentry Worker performs skilled carpentry work in the maintenance, erection, refurbishment, repair, and or construction of buildings and facilities and other related duties as required in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures. Work duties will include carpentry work associated with existing and new construction of Park buildings, offices, housing, food service locations, Park attractions, game and merchandise locations, Halloween walkthroughs, etc.
Job Requirements/Essential Functions of the Job:
- The Carpentry Worker will be working around high noise levels resulting from the rides and power equipment required to do the job. The Carpentry Worker must be able to remain focused on the job while dealing with interruptions from guest contact. The Carpentry Worker will be assigned to specific trades, and must be able to operate equipment and make repairs on the Park following the Company’s policies and procedures.
- During training periods, the Carpentry Worker must be able to read and assimilate information provided in the maintenance and construction manual, the Seasonal Employee Handbook, the Lagoon Policies and Procedures Manual, purchased equipment manuals and drawings, as well as to comprehend verbal instructions from trainers.
- The Carpentry Worker must be able to read, interpret and work from blueprints; prepare rough sketches of work and estimate material and labor; select proper materials to be used; skillfully use the proper tools.
- The Carpentry Workerwill be using a variety of power tools and heavy machinery to accomplish the job duties including remodeling and repairing cabinetry, counters, shelves, tables and miscellaneous furniture or equipment; replacing and repairing door closures and locks; altering and repairing a variety of building structures such as walls, partitions, doorways, window frames, stairways, and roofs; installing window glass and screens; applying wall and floor coverings; preparing and pouring cement.
- The Carpentry Worker will perform preventive maintenance, repairs, construction, and daily checks on specific amusement rides in accordance to the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Plans details of working procedure by determining replacement needs or new material required and develops a logical approach to correct the problem.
- Performs work requiring a thorough knowledge of carpentry theory and principles, statuary codes, properties of materials and principles of construction equipment.
- The Carpentry Worker must be willing to conform to Lagoon’s grooming and personal hygiene requirements and wear the proper issued uniform. A neat, clean, professional appearance is required at all times.
- The Carpentry Worker must be willing and able to perform all other job duties and assignments as assigned by management.
- Each Carpentry Worker will be dealing with all levels of the Construction Department as well as the Maintenance Division and other departments to which the Construction Department is related.
- The Carpentry Worker may be part of a construction team on major Park projects, working with other trades such as mechanics, plumbers, welders, and electricians.
Full-time hourly employees are at-will and may be terminated at any time, with or without cause and/or notice. A full-time hourly employee is regularly scheduled to work on average a minimum of 30 hours or more per week and a minimum of 1,560 hours in a 12-month period.
This position requires the employee to work a variable weekly schedule, five-six days a week from as early as 5:00 a.m. to as late as 1:00 a.m. including evenings, weekends, and holidays. A full-time hourly employee agrees to work as scheduled by the Lagoon. Due to the seasonal nature of Lagoon’s business, the work schedule of a full-time hourly employee may vary from an average of thirty (30) to forty-five (45) hours per week and may exceed fifty (50) hours per week during peak operational times.
Lagoon is a “seasonal amusement or recreational establishment” under the Fair Labor Standards Act and Utah law. Therefore, all Lagoon employees are exempt from the overtime and minimum wage provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Utah law.
- Carpentry experience is appreciated.
- Must have a current Driver’s License.
- Job qualifications are stated in essential functions of the job description.An employee must be able to accomplish the essential functions in order to be competent in the job.Other qualifications not specifically noted in the essential functions of the job include:Education, certifications, registrations, licenses, special equipment skills, software expertise, language skills, working conditions, physical demands, work schedule demands, work location requirements, hazardous materials knowledge.
- Able to learn and understand all policies and procedures pertinent to departmental operations and the job.
- Able to learn, comprehend, maintain, and enforce the company’s policies and procedures.
- Able to make quick and effective decisions.
- Able to communicate effectively with guests and employees in a professional and friendly manner.
- Able to complete simple math calculations when filling out payroll time records, taking measurements, and performing maintenance.
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions to perform specific tasks.
- Able to work independently as well productively as a member of a team.
- Able to follow safety practices and be safety conscious.
- Able to follow verbal and written directions.
- Able to implement general policies, procedures, and standards set forth by the Company which are described and detailed in the Maintenance and Construction Manual and Park Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Maintain sensitivity to all of the policies adopted and established by the Company.
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions to perform specific tasks.
- Protect the Company from loss of assets.
- Use tools and equipment properly to avoid damage, loss or injury.
- Clean job site and work area daily or more often, as needed.
- Verify tools and equipment are maintained, cleaned, secured and stored properly at the end of each shift.
- Watch for and report any unsafe working conditions.
- Be safety conscious.
- Use designated safety equipment.
- Remain current on changes within the amusement park industry and ASTM amusement ride and construction of building standards.
- Remain current on state and county buildingcodes.
- Respond quickly to unusual situations during operation, including power failure, fire alarms, guest evacuation, and assistance per the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Insure that work in progress and the job site are protected (protected from the public and the public is protected).
- Able to climb ladders, climb on rides, and complete daily maintenance ride safety check sheets.
- Maintain amusement ride or device records by recording inspections, services, repairs, and component replacements.
- Perform inspection checklists faithfully and honestly according to procedure.
- Knowledge of practices, tools, equipment, and materials used in the carpentry trade; laws codes, rules, and standards pertaining to construction and maintenance; safe work practices related to the building trade and carpentry work.
- All other duties as assigned by management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Upon request, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Able to regularly use hands to finger, handle, and feel.
- Must have full use of hands, arms and legs to reach, operate equipment and climb on rides and attractions to perform repairs and ride safety checks.
- Able to move equipment which would include significant pushing, pulling, bending, and lifting.
- Able to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Able to sit, climb, or balance.
- Able to walk quickly to/from job locations up to 1 (one) kilometer distance.
- Able to regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Must have good hearing and visual acuity to observe unusual sound or noise from rides or equipment and/or variation of ride or equipment operation, speed, or performance.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to read and understand maintenance ride checklists.
- Able to work from maintenance work order system.
- Able to speak to give other employees and guests verbal instructions.
- Able to work in a considerably noisy environment from equipment and amusement rides.
- Able to perform work duties outside in varying weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- Requires early arrivals and/or late night departures.